You have worked most of your life to grow your business. Now in your golden years how do you transfer the business to monetize your investment?
There are many books written on the subject. Below are many of the ways we have helped clients with when transferring their business:
- Family succession
- Key employee purchase
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Sale to a strategic customer
- Sale to a strategic vendor
- Sale to a strategic competitor
- Work until you die
- Sale through broker/investment banker
No matter what method you choose there are tax consequences with each of the transactions.
There are also issues to negotiate such as:
- Terms of payment
- Is it a stock or asset sale?
- Employment or consulting agreement
- Earn out
- Assumption of or payment of liabilities
- Working capital requirements
- Escrow holdbacks
- Due diligence issues
- Installment sale
Our knowledgeable professionals have assisted numerous clients through both the sale and purchase of businesses. In addition to Certified Public Accountants (CPAs), our team also consists of Certified Valuation Analysists (CVAs) and Certified Fraud Examiners (CFEs). Contact us today to learn more.